Squid Ink Pasta with Prawns is one of my favourite dishes of all time, it’s so so easy that I’ve been making it for years but, I don’t know whether it is because squid-ink pasta can prove tricky to find, I actually consider it a bit of a treat.
Ever since the local deli (Allgoods of Ely) opened in Ely, I’ve been able to buy it again and I always have a packet hidden away in the cupboard as husband isn’t fussed and, in that case, I am not sharing.
No kitchen gadgets required for this one. I know, you are shocked, right? This recipe is so easy you don't need more than a pot and your hob. Ready?
Squid Ink Pasta with Prawns
- For 2 people: 155 g squid ink pasta, the whole pack will probably do for 4 people
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 peeled chunky garlic cloves, two whole one finely chopped
- A couple of good handfuls of raw king prawns or prawns of your choice
- 1 teaspoon salt, you may need more to suit your taste
- Black pepper
- Olives, optional
1. Cook the pasta as per pack instructions.
Now, for the next step you have two options: the one that involves more washing-up and less time and the one that involves less washing-up and more time, i.e. you can either do this on a separate pan while the pasta cooks or in the same pan where you cook the pasta once the pasta is cooked and drained and reserved.
2. Heat the oil in a pot, same pot as you have have cooked the pasta or a pot or frying pan big enough to hold the pasta as you will add it to the sauce.
3. Heat the 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil and the garlic over a low heat, slowly, taking care so that the garlic doesn't burn, stirring every once in a while.
4. Once it's hot and the garlic is looking golden, add the prawns and turn the heat up. Not too much though, you don't want the garlic to burn. Stir regularly but mind the prawns as you don't want them to come apart, shaking the pot a bit from side to side (gently so to be careful with the hot oil) works well too for moving the prawns around.
Once the prawns are cooked just add the pasta toss it all well. Add the olives, if using, and sit down to enjoy.