I own an electric pressure cooker (which also slow cooks, etc.), mine is an Instant Pot and I love it for the convenience of being able to walk away from it, it means I can programme it and walk away from it without having to hang around for it to hiss and then set a timer (so, if you're making this in a stove-top pressure cooker, all you need to do is hang around and programme the time, which should be the same). All my Instant Pot and pressure cooking recipes are right here.
If you're making it the conventional way or on a slow cooker, just follow the first sauteing/frying steps and let it run for a few hours in your slow cooker.
Serve this with mashed potatoes, cauliflower rice, cauliflower mash, vegetables, whatever takes your fancy but don't forget a good slice of crusty bread to dip in that lovely sauce.
Don't forget to join my Pressure Cooking UK with Feisty Tapas group over on Facebook.
Chicken stew with serrano ham and mushrooms
- 75 g serrano ham, diced (you could use a gammon joint/ham cooked in your Instant Pot of course, here's a recipe)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 750 g chicken thigh fillets, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 175 g mushrooms, sliced
- 100 ml dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon chicken stock (I used quirky chicken stock paste)
- A couple of handfuls of cherry tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
Instant Pot / Pressure Cooker method:
1. Press the Sauté button, press the Adjust button to literally adjust it to High and fry the diced serrano ham for a few minutes until it starts getting a bit goldeny, stir a few times.
2. Season the diced chicken with salt and pepper and brown, stirring regularly and making sure it doesn’t catch at the bottom. If it does catch easily, you can turn the Sauté heat back down by pressing Keep Warm / Cancel and then the Sauté button again,
3. Press cancel and press Sauté again, no need to adjust it this time. Add the chopped onion and garlic (in Thermomix 5 seconds on speed 5) and stir well, let it sweat for a little while and then add the mushrooms, stir. Add the white wine and chicken stock. Scrape the bottom. Add the tomatoes: 10 minutes on poultry, natural release.
Conventional cooking (on the hob)
1. Heat oil in a heavy and wide-bottomed pot/cast iron casserole, slow cooker, whatever you have to hand. Fry the diced serrano ham over a medium-high heat until it starts getting a bit goldeny, stir a few times.
2. Season the diced chicken with salt and pepper, add it to the pot and stir well. Let it brown all over.
3. Turn the heat down a notch and add the chopped garlic and onion (in Thermomix 5 seconds on speed 5) and stir well, let it sweat for a little while and then add the mushrooms, stir. Add the white wine and chicken stock and let it bubble for a few minutes, then add the tomatoes and let it cook on a low-medium heat until the chicken is not only cooked through but also tender.