This Instant Pot Kale and Chorizo Soup (Caldo Gallego) is one of the myriad of recipes you can cook after pressure cooking a whole chicken in the Instant Pot.Jump to Recipe
Then, after making Chicken Stock as per that delicious recipe, you can keep the stock and some of the meat (or just the stock and none of the meat) to make this Instant Pot Kale and Chorizo Soup (Caldo Gallego).
If it sounds similar to Portuguese Caldo Verde, that's because it is!
This Caldo Gallego is typical of the Galicia region of Spain, located just above Portugal so there are many similarities.
You can also use Gammon Stock if you've pressure cooked a gammon, and even add some of the gammon leftovers, it will be delicious.
Does it have to be kale?
No, not at all. You can use any greens, but kale or cavolo nero are the closest to make it a more traditional Galician Caldo (Caldo Gallego) as cooked in Spain.
Spring greens work great too.
Spinach is my least favourite for this soup and won't really need the pressure cooking time so, if you want to use spinach, you could add it at the end as it will wilt very quickly in the heat.
How to make this recipe vegetarian or vegan
If you fancy the idea of this recipe but are not a meat eater and wish it didn't have the chorizo or the chicken stock, how about making it vegetarian or vegan?
To make this recipe vegetarian or vegan:
Prepare my Vegetable Stock Paste and cook this soup with 1 litre of water, 3 tablespoons of my vegetable stock paste, 1 tsp of paprika and omitting the chorizo, keep the potatoes, the greens and the beans.
I cook this kind of soup all the time, it's delicious and extremely easy.
It's a bit like a Spanish Caldo. You can totally play with the ingredients, add carrots for example.
Can I cook this Instant Pot Kale and Chorizo Soup (Caldo Gallego) in my Thermomix instead?
Doing it in the Instant Pot is easier, this means that the Thermomix is now free for other more energetic activities such as kneading bread, or cooking custard for dessert...
Ready for the recipe?
Instant Pot Kale and Chorizo Soup (Caldo Gallego)
- Instant Pot
- 1 litre of homemade chicken stock OR water and vegetable stock paste OR gammon stock
- A few leaves of kale about 10 (or cavolo nero or spring greens or spinach, see notes above), chopped up, shredded or snapped with your hand into small chunks
- 2 floury potatoes
diced and peeled
- 1 chorizo sausage (optional, you can also replace with about a teaspoon of paprika), see blurb above if you want to make it vegetarian or vegan
- 1 tin of cannellini beans or butter beans or chickpeas tinned in this case but don’t forget you can always pressure cook dry beans and freeze in portions for these purposes, then you can use them straight from frozen, look on the back of your Instant Pot cookbook for timings
- Add all the ingredients to the Instant Pot. Lock the lid in. Steam release handle pointing to Sealing. Press the Pressure Cook / Manual button and use the – and + buttons (or turn the dial) to programme 5 minutes, do a Natural Pressure Release* at the end.
- Tweak the salt to taste and serve piping hot to warm your cockles, you can top it with some of the chicken meat from making the stock of course!
Other recipes you might like:
- Instant Pot Cavolo Nero and Squash Soup (with video)
- Instant Pot Chicken, Leek and Carrot Soup
- Instant Pot Spanish Lentil Soup (Lentejas)
- Chunky Leek and Potato Soup
- Instant Pot Leek, Potato and Paprika Soup