This Fusion Puy Lentil Salad includes Instant Pot instructions and is a lovely, refreshing, summery salad.
Or have it warm in the winter.
It's perfect prepared ahead for work lunches.
Puy lentils pressure cook really quickly.
They also don't take long in a pan on the hob if you don't have a pressure cooker.
But electric pressure cookers allow you the convenience of programming it and getting on with other things.
No need to hang around.
I've called this Fusion Lentil Salad as it includes all my favourite ingredients for a mixed salad.
With tuna, white asparagus, etc. and a few new ingredients I've discovered in the past year or so, like sumac and pomegranate molasses.
Puy lentils cook in no time so you can prepare the rest of the salad while they cook, tidy up your kitchen, add them at the end and eat in a very much non-stressful manner.
Choose your own ingredient combination
This salad is one of those where you can add and remove ingredients as you wish, depending on your taste or cupboard contents.
- Pomegranate seeds would go really well with it, as would soft or hard-boiled eggs or sliced apple.
- Gammon, cold or warm, after pressure cooking it
Don't know how to pressure cook gammon? Let me tell you.
Ready for the recipe?
Instant Pot Fusion Puy Lentil Salad
- 1 Pressure Cooker
- 150 g puy lentils
- ⅓ red onion
- ⅓ lemon juiced
- ½ teaspoon pomegranate molasses
- 1 teaspoon of sumac
- 1 handful fresh coriander chopped
- 120 g tinned tuna or try searing fresh tuna to go with it
- 2 beetroots cooked, sliced (or grated fresh beetroot would be great)
- 110 g white asparagus the drained weight of a 190 g jar
- 1 handful sesame seeds or sunflower seeds or both
- 1 handful crushed cashew nuts for a bit of crunch optional
Start by cooking the Puy lentils in the Instant Pot or pressure cooker:
- Rinse the Puy Lentils with water in a sieve, and place in the inner pot with 450 ml of cold water, natural pressure release.150 g puy lentils
- Pressure cook 1 minute, high pressure, natural pressure release. If you want to cook more lentils, all you have to do is make sure that the lentils are covered in water.
While the lentils are cooking, work on the other ingredients:
- Add to a large bowl:⅓ red onion, ⅓ lemon, ½ teaspoon pomegranate molasses, 1 teaspoon of sumac, 1 handful fresh coriander
- Mix well.
- Then add:120 g tinned tuna, 2 beetroots, 110 g white asparagus, 1 handful sesame seeds or sunflower seeds, 1 handful crushed cashew nuts for a bit of crunch
- Mix well
- Drain the lentils when they are ready, after they've done a natural pressure release. If you fancy a warm salad, then add the lentils straight away. If you fancy a cooler salad, place the cooked lentils in a sieve and rinse with cold water before adding to the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix well and drizzle with extra pomegranate molasses, lemon juice and sumac before eating if you fancy more.