Delicious and easy meat-free vegetarian / vegan Instant Pot Mushroom Chilli. Super quick to pressure cook.
After the success of my Instant Pot Mushroom Bolognese which so many of you have successfully tried and loved already, I thought I'd try to pressure cook a meat-free Chilli.
It was extremely successful!
Instant Pot Mushroom Chilli
Really easy meatless vegetarian / vegan pressure cooked Chili, you won't know there's no meat in it!
Tip: chop the mushrooms in a food processor or Thermomix to make your life easier.
If you decide to chop them by hand, make sure you crank up the tunes or listen to your favourite podcast.
What to serve with Instant Pot Mushroom Chilli?
You could serve it over a Jacket Potato (or baked potato) or with rice but my favourite way is to serve it as Nachos, which I make really quickly in the air fryer.
To turn this meat-free pressure cooked chilli into Nachos, I use an enamel dish (from a set of 3 from Aldi).
How to turn this Meatless Chilli into Nachos?
You'll need an enamel dish or a cake tin.
Add a layer of tortilla chips or Doritos to your chosen dish or pan, then a layer of Mushroom Chilli, a layer of cheese of your choice (including vegan cheese) then repeat with another layer of tortilla chips, then the chilli then finish with lots of cheese.
Place in the air fryer for 4 minutes at 180ºC, no need to preheat. I tend to use the Instant Vortex air fryer. You can also use the Instant Pot Duo Crisp or Ninja Foodi's air fryer lid for this.
Want to do the nachos in the oven? Preheat the oven to around 200ºC and let the cheese brown, it will take a few minutes. You can also do it under the grill.
Not using cheese? Then just layer up, no need for the nachos to go in the air fryer or oven in that case.
My preference is for Lightly Salted Tortilla Chips. Often inexpensive supermarket-own from M&S or Tesco.
I serve the Nachos with soured cream or plain yoghurt, depending on what I have at home. I do tend to always have homemade Instant Pot plain yoghurt in the fridge.
Super easy to pressure cook
Seriously, all you need to do is add all the ingredients to your pressure cooker. Put the lid on. Set the time. Go do something else. It'll be ready in no time.
Instant Pot Mushroom Chilli
- Instant Pot or pressure cooker
- 370 g mushrooms white or chestnut, chopped in a food processor or Thermomix
- 120 g red onion chopped
- Half to 1 teaspoon ground cumin to taste
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon raw cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- Chilli flakes to taste optional, if cooking for children or people who don’t like hot spicy food, you can add the chilli flakes at the end or to the plates of those who do like them
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce
- Drizzle of fish sauce unless you’re keeping it vegan
- 1 tin of cooked black beans of your choice you can also batch cook, portion up and freeze black beans then add them to this chilli to pressure cook from frozen, no need to change the timings
- 1 tin tomatoes + a splash of water to rinse the tin out and add to the pot no waste round here
- 1 teaspoon vegetable stock paste
- 1-2 squares dark chocolate it will add depth of flavour, I particularly like Green & Blacks 70% or 85% chocolate
Have you got a Thermomix? Halve the mushrooms and chop them 2 seconds on speed 4, open up and scrape down the walls. Chop 2 more seconds at speed 4. Then transfer to the inner pot. You could also do it in a food processor. The onion I chopped afterwards in the Thermomix for 5 seconds on speed 5.
- Place all the ingredients in the inner pot. Stir.
- Make sure the sealing ring is properly in place. Lock the lid in. Make sure the steam release is set to Sealing.
- Press Pressure Cook and programme 3 minutes, high pressure, at the end of pressure cooking time wait 3 minutes and then do a quick pressure release. Don’t worry if you’re not around to do the quick pressure release, let it be on keep warm and enjoy life.
- Stir in 1-2 squares of dark chocolate at the end to add depth of flavour.
Tried this recipe? Take a photo and tag @feistytapas on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook
*(all recipes with UK ingredients and measurements)
Other Instant Pot recipes you might like:
- Instant Pot Mushroom Bolognese
- Instant Pot Ratatouille Pasta
- Instant Pot Paprika Chard and Potatoes
- Instant Pot Duo Crisp Greek Potatoes