My friend Angela bought an Instant Pot Duo on Prime Day. A few days after she received I went round her house to show her how to use it and we improvised this delicious Instant Pot Prawn, Courgette and Mushroom Risotto.
This risotto is a great beginner recipe that shows off the Sauté function of the Instant Pot, as well as the amazingly easy dish that is a
You might also like my other risotto recipe, my Instant Pot Prawn, Trout and Pea Risotto.
If you haven't tried pressure cooking risotto and are used to doing it on the hob, you're going to notice how much easier Instant Pot risotto is. No need to hang around.
As your Instant Pot doesn't need babysitting, this recipe is also easier than on a conventional pressure cooker where you have to hang around to regulate the heat when it reachers pressure.
That's because the Instant Pot just does it all on its own. It reaches pressure and counts down on its own while you keep doing whatever you fancy doing?
In fact, what will you do while it's cooking?
Read a book?
Put your feet up?
Play with the children or grandchildren?
On the fence about buying an Instant Pot? Check out my Unboxing and Water Test videos.
It's so easy to use and there's so much help to use it regularly, plus of course this website is full of Instant Pot recipes.
Do let me know if you try it of course!
Have you joined my Pressure Cooking UK with Feisty Tapas group?
Instant Pot Prawn, Courgette and Mushroom Risotto
- 1 Pressure Cooker
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 1 courgette sliced into half moons
- 6-8 mushrooms sliced in wedges
- 1 glug white wine if you don't have any, don't worry, just use some of the stock
- 150 g arborio risotto rice
- 100 g frozen prawns
- 400 ml water from the kettle
- 2 tablespoons vegetable stock paste heaped, make my vegetable stock paste
To serve (optional but it's so good!)
- Knob of butter
- Press Sauté, adjust to Less* and add 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. Add the onion, garlic and celery and stir to coat in the olive oil. Put the Instant Pot glass lid on or a lid that fits. After 3-5 minutes add the courgette and the mushrooms and stir. In total the vegetables should be on sauté for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Dilute the vegetable stock paste in the hot water
- Add a glug of white wine (or a glug of the stock) and stir in the risotto rice, let it sauté for a couple of minutes, stirring. Deglaze by adding a splash of stock and scraping the bottom of the inner pot with a wooden spoon to make sure any caramelised bits are removed.
- Stir in the prawns.
- Pour the vegetable stock in while you stir.
- Make sure the sealing ring is in place and press it down following its circumference a few times as you press it down. Steam release handle pointing to Sealing. Pressure cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.
- At the end of the 5 minutes wait a few seconds for things to settle inside and do a quick pressure release**. Risotto is supposed to have a bit of bite, if you want it softer, put the lid back on whether fully or loosely and the rice will keep cooking in the residual heat.
- You can stir in a knob of butter at this stage. No cheese in seafood risotto.
Have you tried this recipe? Do please let me know!18
Susan joyce says
This recipe is fab.. I left out the mushrooms as we dont like them and used a reg stock cube as I haven't made the paste yet
Everyone loved this and it will be a staple on our house
Thanks for the great recipe. Love my instantpot
I adapted to use up Xmas leftovers, ham & cheese, and this was delicious and perfectly al dente!
That's brilliant J! Thanks so much for letting me know. You might also like this Gammon Rice recipe https://www.feistytapas.com/2020/07/instant-pot-gammon-rice/
Looks so easy and no standing & stirring 😊. Will try it tonight with roasted pumpkin. Can’t wait! Thanks Maria for all your delicious recipes