This Thermomix Paprika Chard and Potatoes is a delicious and super easy Spanish dish.
Want to pressure cook it instead? Then you want my Instant Pot Chard and Potatoes. Same dish, different method.
I would like to say that this is the Mediterranean diet but I grew up right by the Atlantic so: I give you a dish from the Atlantic diet.Jump to Recipe
How to serve Thermomix Paprika Chard and Potatoes
The Spanish name is Acelgas con Patatas and it's a dish traditionally served as a first course for lunch.
At least that's how it was in my house growing up, often with a boiled egg.
This is lovely for a light lunch for those of you who, like me, work from home or a delicious light meal.
What if you don't have a Thermomix or an Instant Pot?
This is how to cook Thermomix Chard and Potatoes on the hob:
- Steam or boil the chard and potatoes separately until they're ready.
- Chop the garlic and fry in oil, add the teaspoon of paprika, give it a stir.
- Add the chard and potatoes and let it all mix for about 8 minutes over a medium heat.
Don't forget you can find daily inspiration in my Facebook group, Thermo Cooking UK with Feisty Tapas.
Thermomix Paprika Chard and Potatoes
- 400 g fresh chard clean (whole), rainbow or swiss varieties work
- 3 medium potatoes in chunks (500-600 g)
- 2 garlic cloves peeled, you can add more to tast
- 35 g extra virgin olive oil use a bit more, 40 g, if you are using 500 g of chard
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika half teaspoon if using smoked paprika
- Pinch of salt
- 750 ml of water
- Place the chard in the Varoma and cover with the lid, then place the potatoes in the inners steaming basket. Pour the water (750 ml) in the bowl, insert the inner basket with the potatoes. Close the lid and place the Varoma on top: Varoma, 25 minutes, speed 1. Check that the potatoes are cooked, give them a few more minutes on Varoma, speed 1 if not.
- Remove the Varoma and the basket. Dry the bowl quickly with a clean cloth (wash it first if you want but I didn’t), it needs to be dry as you’re about to add oil and it just doesn’t mix well with water. Chop the garlic 7 seconds, speed 5. Use the spatula to lower the bits of garlic that may have travelled up the walls of the bowl and the lid.
- Add the oil and paprika: 100ºC, 5 minutes, speed 1.
- Leave the oil to cool down a bit (I set my phone’s timer to 5 minutes for this). Put the butterfly in place (I have to confess that I don’t always use the butterfly and it turns out fine but it’s best if you do), add the chard, then the potatoes (this order is very important, the potatoes need to go on top): Varoma (TM5: 120º), 8 minutes, reverse, soft speed (spoon symbol).
Other Thermomix recipes you might like:
- Crustless Anchovy Quiche
- Chorizo Risotto
- Spanish Potato Omelette (Tortilla de Patata)
- Chocolate Banana Ice Cream
Let me know if you try this recipe and use the hashtag #feistytapas if you post it on Instagram or Twitter.2