I’m going to show you how to cook Pressure Cook Braised Red Cabbage (with Instant Pot Instructions).
The recipe card below has a handy video that will help you learn how to pressure cook red cabbage, I hope it gives you confidence to do it.Jump to Video
PRESSURE COOKING KEEPS THE BRIGHT COLOUR OF THE RED CABBAGE
Red cabbage very much retains its colour when pressure cooked.
It’s very much red.
And by that I mean not grey like that one time I boiled it on the hob and the colour went down the drain along with the cooking water.
It was the first time I cooked red cabbage and it was the nineties 🤣
NO NEED TO CRUSH THE JUNIPER BERRIES
I like the juniper berries for the aromatics.
Some people crush juniper berries before adding to dishes but I prefer to leave them whole as I don’t like biting into fragments.
Discard the juniper berries when serving or when eating.
YOU CAN FREEZE BRAISED RED CABBAGE
Cook it ahead and freeze it.
This is super handy if you are pressure cooking it for your Christmas Dinner.
Just remember to take it out the day before or use my trick to reheat from frozen in a pressure cooker or Instant Pot but for only about 5 minutes.
WANT DAILY RECIPE INSPIRATION FOR YOUR PRESSURE COOKER?
Make sure you join my Pressure Cooking UK with Feisty Tapas Group.
NEED OTHER CHRISTMAS RECIPES?
You might like these:
- How to pressure cook Gammon
- Cranberry-Glazed Gammon
- Cranberry Sauce
- How to pressure cook Brussels Sprouts
- How to roast parsnips in the Instant Pot Duo Crisp
- Instant Pot Christmas eBook
Let me show you how to pressure cook braised red cabbage (with Instant Pot instructions)
And don't forget to watch the handy video too.
How to Pressure Cook Braised Red cabbage (with Instant Pot instructions)
- Instant Pot
- Half a red cabbage shredded or sliced
- 1 red onion sliced
- 2 eating apples peeled, cored and sliced
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- A pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Orange peel + orange juice
- 12 Juniper berries you can crush them but I prefer them whole and I discard them at the end as I love them for the aromatics but I don’t like biting into them
- 150 ml cold water
- 1 tsp veg stock paste diluted in the water
- Place all ingredients in the inner pot and mix well.
- Make sure the sealing ring is properly in place and place the lid on.
- Press Pressure Cook / Manual and programme 2 minutes, at the end do a Quick Pressure release. If you like it on the softer side, leave it to do an NPR. Want it crunchy? Cook for 1 minute with QPR or even for 0 minutes.